Thursday, March 13, 2008

Zen

"Zen: A school of Mahayana Buddhism that asserts that enlightenment can be attained through meditation, self-contemplation, and intuition rather than through faith and devotion..." [thanks, Answers.com]

I wonder how Buddhist monks sitting in a monastery in China would feel about their school of thought being used to market headphones to this non-Buddhist Westerner?

But with the amount of time I've been spending with my earphones in my ears lately (music and driving are my two favorite ways to reach inner calm), and considering the amount of stress I've been under lately, it seems fitting that the earphones I bought today (after some web comparison shopping) ended up being the Creative Zen Aurvanas. [Again with the Buddhist tie-ins.]

They were compared favorable to Shures and Etymotics costing $30-50 more -- and so far seem to be just what I was looking for. Good, clear mid-range, some decent (but not dance-floor level) bass and a mild treble.

And maybe the monks wouldn't be so upset with the marketing. I feel more calm and introspective already -- plus, they're made in China.

- T

No comments: