Saturday, May 13, 2006

Polar Bears Are Endangered . . . SHOOT 'IM!

So, a hybrid polar/grizzly bear was found in northern Canada, as reported here by BBC. Canadian wildlife officials are now coming up with names for this unusual creature, never before verified in nature -- "pizzly", "grolar bear" or "nanulak", after the Inuit names for polar bear (nanuk) and grizzly bear (aklak). Cute.

But, what no one seems to be mentioning is that the polar bear is an endangered species! So, what was this "American big game hunter" doing up in northern Canada, running around the snow with a guide and a high-powered rifle, shooting and killing what sure as hell looks like a polar bear to me!

Yeah, I like a good steak as much as the next guy. Seafood and chicken and pork are all parts of my balanced diet. And there is a part of my psyche that is disturbed when I think about how the delicious meat ends up on my plate. BUT, there is a real leap between ordering the Grillteller at the next restaurant I visit and flying up to Canada with my guide and entourage to tromp through the snow and fire my rifle at endangered polar bears.

-T



No comments: